[torqueusers] Torque over-limit submission accepted.

Matthias Meinke m.meinke at aia.rwth-aachen.de
Tue Sep 6 09:12:00 MDT 2011

Hi,

I also have a similar problem, where I have setup 3 queues in a similar way as
in the email below with torque-3.0.2 and maui-3.3.1.

My observation is that when submitting jobs to a default routing queue, maui
does not select the correct queue when specifying cores with

-l procs=16

when

 set queue x resources_min.ncpus=8
 set queue x resources_max.ncpus=32

are specified for queue x on the pbs server.

It works however if

-l nodes=4,ppn=4

and

set queue x resources_min.nodect=2
set queue x resources_max.nodect=16

is specified.

I hope that somebody can give us a hint...

Matthias

On Sunday 04 September 2011 15:08:17 Marc Mendez-Bermond wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am fighting with a *new* installation of Torque coupled with Maui
> where 3 queues are defined and when I try to submit a job to the "small"
> queue with more cores than its max allowed, the job is accepted.
>
> For example, the 'small resources_max.ncpus = 12' and the queue accepts
> '-l nodes=2:ppn=12 -q small' requests ... It looks like the nodes value
> only is considered which is quite confirmed if I try the following :
> '-l nodes=14:ppn=12' is being routed to the "medium" queue defined as
> 'set queue medium resources_max.ncpus = 64'.
>
> Versions are :
> - torque-2.5.7-1.el5.1 (EPEL5 RPMs for RHEL/CENTOS 5)
> - maui-3.3-4.el5 (https://svnweb.cern.ch/trac/maui)
>
> Its configuration is detailed below and I think Maui is out of the cause
> as using the pbs_sched will lead to the same issue.
>
> Any help appreciated !
>
> Regards,
> M.
>
> ======
>
> #
> # Create queues and set their attributes.
> #
> #
> # Create and define queue medium
> #
> create queue medium
> set queue medium queue_type = Execution
> set queue medium max_queuable = 100
> set queue medium resources_max.ncpus = 64
> set queue medium resources_max.nodect = 64
> set queue medium resources_min.ncpus = 13
> set queue medium resources_default.walltime = 48:00:00
> set queue medium enabled = True
> set queue medium started = True
> #
> # Create and define queue large
> #
> create queue large
> set queue large queue_type = Execution
> set queue large max_queuable = 100
> set queue large resources_max.ncpus = 168
> set queue large resources_max.nodect = 168
> set queue large resources_min.ncpus = 65
> set queue large resources_default.walltime = 24:00:00
> set queue large enabled = True
> set queue large started = True
> #
> # Create and define queue small
> #
> create queue small
> set queue small queue_type = Execution
> set queue small max_queuable = 100
> set queue small resources_max.ncpus = 12
> set queue small resources_max.nodect = 12
> set queue small resources_default.walltime = 96:00:00
> set queue small enabled = True
> set queue small started = True
> #
> # Create and define queue portalq
> #
> create queue portalq
> set queue portalq queue_type = Route
> set queue portalq route_destinations = small
> set queue portalq route_destinations += medium
> set queue portalq route_destinations += large
> set queue portalq enabled = True
> set queue portalq started = True
> #
> [...]

Dr.-Ing. Matthias Meinke
Chair of Fluid Mechanics and Institute of Aerodynamics
RWTH Aachen University
Wüllnerstraße 5a
D-52062 Aachen
Germany