[torqueusers] qsub patch for job script arguments.

Gareth.Williams at csiro.au Gareth.Williams at csiro.au
Fri Sep 2 21:28:13 MDT 2011

Hi Michael,

I've always read information about -- usage as halting 'option' parsing, as you say, but I guess I assumed there is usually a different between 'options' (and their associated required/optional arguments) and other arguments. Eg. In the man page for (gnu) time:

time [options] command [arguments...]
-snip-
   GNU Standard Options
-snip-
       --     Terminate option list.

ie. '--' is the last 'option', so that 'command' and [arguments...] get used without being further interpreted by the argument parsing.

I think in this case, qsub [options] [script [script_args...]]
Is more intuitive than, qsub [options] [script  [-- script_args...]]

Indeed -- need not be necessary unless qsub can't recognise which option is the script and aggressively swallows up args after the script. (compare: 'ls / -l', 'ls -- / -l' and 'ls -l /')

Gareth