[torqueusers] Allocate job on node only if it requested by job node properties

Kevin Van Workum vanw at sabalcore.com
Fri Oct 28 06:15:32 MDT 2011

On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 11:24 AM, Alexandr Baskakov <avb at ssau.ru> wrote:

> Hi.
>
> Can anybody help me, please.
> I need configure TORQUE 3.0.2/Maui 3.3 to allocate particular job on node,
> only if node has been requested by job node properties.
>
> For example, we have 3 nodes:
> n1 np=8
> n2 np=8
> n3 np=8 bigmem
>
> If I submit job with "-l nodes=2:ppn=8", it must run on n1 and n2.
> If nodes n1,n2 already executing a some jobs, then if I submit job with "-l
> nodes=2:ppn=8", it must been queued, and wait n1,n2.
> If I submit job with "-l nodes=2:ppn=8:bigmem", it must be run on n3,n1 or
> n3,n2.
>
> Other words, regular jobs, if node properties "bigmem" has not requested,
> should't be run on node n3.

nodes=2:ppn=8 means "any 2 nodes with 8 cores". Since n3 fits this
description, it is considered eligible for the job. What you want is to
specify nodes that are not-bigmem. We don't use Maui, so I don't know if it
has any set operators for node properties other than ":" (AND), but a
Complement operator is what you need.

An other option is to assign all other nodes a 'not-bigmem' property. Then
optionally, you could set 'not-bigmem' as a default property.

BTW, in your example, nodes=2:ppn=8:bigmem, will never run. You probably
mean to say nodes=1:ppn=8:bigmem+1:ppn=8.

--
Kevin Van Workum, PhD
Sabalcore Computing Inc.