[torqueusers] Policies for scheduling with unusual/reserved-use nodes.

Coyle, James J [ITACD] jjc at iastate.edu
Fri Oct 14 15:44:43 MDT 2011

All,

  I'm running Torque 2.5.4 on an homogenous cluster with just Opteron Cpus, and someone
wants to add similar machines with two GPU cards in them.

  I am unsure whether this person will want these machines held exclusively for
his group's use, and whether/how Torque can accommodate this.

  How have others handled the technical end of this?

  I know that users can easily specify
       -l nodes=x:ppn=y:gpus=z
to get on specifically those nodes, and I can set a property for specific nodes, e.g.
nogpu so that a job can specify
        -l nodes=x:ppn=y:nogpu
so that the job would specifically avoid those nodes (and maybe put that
in a job wrapper script.)

  However, what do you do if the new group wants "nobody else can run on my nodes"
in an environment where users could specify gpus=z even when they did not need it,
or just leave off the nogpu so that they get scheduled on any available nodes.

 We've never had this, as all the machines were the same,  but I may need to implement it,
likely be on short notice, so I want to be ahead of the curve.

  Can such a policy be implemented with
preferably via

1)    pbs_sched  or

2)    MAUI ?

  I can probably hack something together myself, but I'd guess that others must
have crossed this bridge, and I'd like learn from those with this experience.

Thanks,

-         Jim

James Coyle, PhD
High Performance Computing Group