[torqueusers] Need help with NCPUS not working in QSUB

Troy Baer tbaer at utk.edu
Thu Oct 6 10:07:45 MDT 2011

On Thu, 2011-10-06 at 09:55 -0500, Lenox, Billy AMRDEC/Sentient Corp.
wrote:
> I have torque setup on a head node system with 5 compute nodes
> Two have 8 cores and 3 have 4 cores setup into on queue called batch
> When I use a submit script
>
> #!/bin/bash
> #PBS -l ncpus=28
> #PBS -l walltime=72:00:00
> #PBS -o output.out
> #PBS -e ie.error
>
> Here /var/spool/torque/server_priv/nodes
>
> seed001 np=8 batch
> seed002 np=8 batch
> seed003 np=8 batch
> seed004 np=8 batch
> seed005 np=8 batch
>
> When I submit the script it only runs on one node SEED001
>
> I don't know why it only runs on one node.

Which scheduler are you using?  In most of the TORQUE-compatible
schedulers I've seen, the ncpus= resource is interpreted as how many
processors you want on a single shared memory system.  (If you want X
processors and you don't care where they are, I think the preferred way
of requesting it is procs=X.)

	--Troy
--
Troy Baer, HPC System Administrator
National Institute for Computational Sciences, University of Tennessee