[torqueusers] Limit max jobs submitted

Andrus, Brian Contractor bdandrus at nps.edu
Tue Nov 22 14:28:56 MST 2011

They do work, but they do not do what I need.

See when someone submits >100000 array jobs, it fills up the job list that is used to schedule the jobs.

That is MAXJOB tells how many jobs to work with within moab to decide priority and who to run. So if MAXJOB is set to 50000, and someone submits an array of 100000, then 1/2 of their jobs get pulled in and the rest are ignored (for now) by moab.
Now along comes supersensitive.user who submits his interactive job, which will sit for way too long because moab isn't even going to schedule it. In fact, moab is ignoring it.

I could set MAXJOB to 500000, but that still doesn't prevent a user from submitting too many jobs such that the list that is looked at does not over-fill.

Is there a setting were if someone were to submit >X jobs (array or otherwise), torque/moab will not even allow it in?

Brian Andrus
ITACS/Research Computing
Naval Postgraduate School
Monterey, California