[torqueusers] procs= not working as documented

Lance Westerhoff lance at quantumbioinc.com
Fri Nov 18 07:33:12 MST 2011

The request that is placed is for procs=60. Both torque and maui see that there are only 53 processors available and instead of letting the job sit in the queue and wait for all 60 processors to become available, it goes ahead and runs the job with what's available. Now if the user could ask for procs=[50-60] where 50 is the minimum number of processors to provide and 60 is the maximum, this would be a feature. But as it stands, if the user asks for 60 processors and ends up with 2 processors, the job just won't scale properly and he may as well kill it (when it shouldn't have run anyway).

I'm actually beginning to think the problem may be related to maui. Perhaps I'll post this same question to the maui list and see what comes back.

This problem is infuriating though since without the functionality working as it should, using procs=X in torque/maui makes torque/maui work more like a submission and run system (not a queuing system).

-Lance