[torqueusers] Running either GPGPU or GL GPU jobs on nodes

Gustavo Correa gus at ldeo.columbia.edu
Fri Nov 11 09:46:56 MST 2011

On Nov 11, 2011, at 11:18 AM, Axel Kohlmeyer wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 10:35 AM, Ti Leggett <leggett at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:
>> We have NV GPUs and we have some users who want to run GPGPU jobs (like CUDA) and we have other users who want to run GL GPU jobs. GL jobs require the machine to have X started (runlevel 5) and GPGPU jobs can't run when X is running. Does anyone have a good method of letting users specify which type of GPU job they need to run and changing the runlevel appropriately?
>
> with nvidia hardware GPGPU jobs _can_ run when X
> is running. i am doing that on my desktop all the time.
> you may need to tweak the timeout that is set to
> keep GPGPU applications from hogging the GPU
> when X is running, if your GPGPU users write kernels
> that run excessively long. in most cases, that is
> just bad program design.
>
> axel.

Hi Ti

I guess you don't want to let users change the machine runlevel.
However, I presume you could check the if the job requires X and change the runlevel
in a prologue script,
then return to runlevel 3 in an epilogue script at the end of the job.

I suppose you could identify the GL_GPU jobs if you associate them
to a node property, e.g. it could be named GL_GPU and added to the appropriate nodes in the server_priv/nodes file.
Then the user would request  nodes with the 'GL_GPU' property on her/his Torque qsub
script/command line, which your preamble script could then deal with by changing runlevel
to 5.

Just a suggestion.

Gus Correa