[torqueusers] Running either GPGPU or GL GPU jobs on nodes

Axel Kohlmeyer akohlmey at cmm.chem.upenn.edu
Fri Nov 11 09:18:35 MST 2011

On Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 10:35 AM, Ti Leggett <leggett at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:
> We have NV GPUs and we have some users who want to run GPGPU jobs (like CUDA) and we have other users who want to run GL GPU jobs. GL jobs require the machine to have X started (runlevel 5) and GPGPU jobs can't run when X is running. Does anyone have a good method of letting users specify which type of GPU job they need to run and changing the runlevel appropriately?

with nvidia hardware GPGPU jobs _can_ run when X
is running. i am doing that on my desktop all the time.
you may need to tweak the timeout that is set to
keep GPGPU applications from hogging the GPU
when X is running, if your GPGPU users write kernels
that run excessively long. in most cases, that is
just bad program design.

axel.