[torqueusers] Disabling cpusets.

David Beer dbeer at adaptivecomputing.com
Thu Nov 3 09:59:48 MDT 2011

----- Original Message -----
> Hi.
>
> Is it possible to have cpusets compiled in, but disable it at
> runtime?
>
> I did some code spelunking and couldn't find any way to turn it off.
>  Did I
> overlook anything?
>
> r.

Roy,

We don't have any way to turn cpusets off at runtime, although there is a way to make it happen in TORQUE:

Look at the geometry requests feature: http://www.adaptivecomputing.com/resources/docs/torque/3.6schedulingcores.php

Note that if geometry requests are configured by themselves, then you only get a cpuset if you explicitly request one. In order to implement this feature, you'd need to write a submit filter that adds the geometry request to the job unless some parameter is passed in (you get to make up whatever parameter you want this to be, and just don't pass it through to qsub from your filter). Essentially, you can take the submit filter here: http://www.adaptivecomputing.com/resources/docs/torque/a.jqsubwrapper.php and add logic to save a parameter request if it is there (your special parameter) and if it isn't there, then you also write the appropriate geometry request to STDOUT. Note that geometry requests make nodes exclusive-use only, so based on your other email it may or may not be a viable solution.

--
David Beer
Direct Line: 801-717-3386 | Fax: 801-717-3738