[torqueusers] X forwarding in torque very slow (qsub -X)

Brunet Pierre-Marie pierre-marie.brunet at cnes.fr
Wed Mar 30 10:10:14 MDT 2011

Hi there,

I'm facing a strange problem when I launch an interactive job with X11
forwarding "qsub -X -I" :
When I use a GUI, it runs much more slowly than the same GUI opened in a
"ssh -X" context.

Client PC ==ssh -X==> Torque client (front node) ==ssh -X==> cluster
node : OK
Client PC ==ssh -X==> Torque client (front node) ==qsub -X -I==> cluster
node : NOK

For example, the menu in Matlab is very jerky but I don't have this
problem when I'm connected to the node throught ssh -X.

"qsub -X -I" seems to add a lot of latency in the loop.

The configuration is :
- OS = RedHat5 (server and nodes)
- Torque = 2.4.11

Is there any parameter to set to solve my problem ?

Any ideas ?

Thanks a lot,
Pierre