[torqueusers] create queue not counting in node job count

Ken Nielson knielson at adaptivecomputing.com
Wed Mar 30 09:29:06 MDT 2011

Thibault,

Right now TORQUE will not allow you to schedule a job without an execution slot. But remember you can set the value of a hosts np to a higher number than there are actual processors on a machine.

For example in the $TORQUE_HOME/server_priv/nodes file you can do the following.

    hosta np=50

The value of np can be any value up to 32768. np does not = number of processors. It is merely a logical value that allows the administrator to set the number of execution slots available on each node.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Ken

You get it!
This job should be able to run without an (executive?) slot, but
should be limited by the  queue configuration (set queue bs_runs
max_running = 3).
This is about jobs which use nearly no cpu time, but prevent sub-jobs
requiring the full node to run. As this is a small cluster, it is
quite annoying :(
Thank you for your help
Thibault