[torqueusers] [Mauiusers] Regarding MAXJOB, MAXIJOB and MAXPROC

Gabe Turner gabe at msi.umn.edu
Wed Mar 30 08:14:35 MDT 2011

On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 01:48:07AM -0700, Mahmood Naderan wrote:
> As the original author, I have to say thank to Gareth for the indepth response.
>
> >MAXIJOB limits how start priorities are calculated on queue jobs,
> > in particular, how many jobs are eligible to be started and
> >how priority factors based on time in the queue are calculated.
> >Jobs blocked by a MAXIJOB limit do not accrue priority
> >based on XFACTOR or QUEUETIME and probably other related factors).
>
> Yes I saw that in my configuration. I set only a limit MAXPROC=9. Assume the
> submitted jobs are uniprocessors but the number of submitted jobs are large. So
> each user can not exceed 9 jobs. What I saw in reality was that if I submitt 30
> jobs, 9 are running and the remaining 21 jbs are *blocked* and not queued. So
> the XFACTOR and aging are not calculated.

Yes, if a job is in violation of _any_ throttling policy, then it is
blocked, so things are working as they should.  If those jobs were not
blocked, then at least one of them could get a reservation but not be able
to run. Thus, the scheduler blocks them to prevent that.

Gabe Turner                                             gabe at msi.umn.edu
HPC Systems Administrator,
University of Minnesota
Supercomputing Institute                          http://www.msi.umn.edu