[torqueusers] Increased np but no change in number of jobs running on them

"Mgr. Šimon Tóth" toth at fi.muni.cz
Sun Mar 27 09:02:31 MDT 2011

> I have a couple four-core desktop machines which I normally each define to
> only have two processors, giving me enough breathing room to do interactive
> work on them.  I bumped both of them up to four processors a few minutes ago
> using qmgr.  I notice that the .../server_priv/nodes file still says they
> still only have two processors.  (I've already opened a bug report about
> this.)  How long should it be before Torque or Maui notices the extra
> available processors and puts them to use?

What version are you using? 2.4 works just fine.

torque1:~# cat /var/spool/torque/server_priv/nodes
torque2.ics.muni.cz np=80 queue=private prop1 private
torque3.ics.muni.cz np=80 queue=private prop1 q_normal q_short
torque4.ics.muni.cz np_admin=1 prop1 q_normal q_short
torque5.ics.muni.cz prop2 q_normal q_short

torque1:~# qmgr -c "set node torque5.ics.muni.cz np=10"

torque1:~# cat /var/spool/torque/server_priv/nodes
torque2.ics.muni.cz np=80 queue=private prop1 private
torque3.ics.muni.cz np=80 queue=private prop1 q_normal q_short
torque4.ics.muni.cz np_admin=1 prop1 q_normal q_short
torque5.ics.muni.cz np=10 prop2 q_normal q_short

> As a corollary, should it be necessary to pick up this change, is it safe to
> restart the pbs_server and maui processes while there are jobs running on
> the execution nodes?

Not sure about maui, but pbs_server can be safely restarted using qterm
-t quick.

--
Mgr. Simon Toth