[torqueusers] Empty output/error log file

Michael Krause grid-admin at mpib-berlin.mpg.de
Wed Mar 23 09:42:48 MDT 2011

Hi,

I am not sure I understand your problem correctly.

> In some circumstances, a queued script is executed (the queuing system
> does execute the PBS script, but nothing is done), an empty output log
> file and an empty error log file are generated and the job disappears
> from the queue.
If your jobs are executed and produce no error/output then this has
nothing to do with torque. As long as you get the (empty) files back
everything looks good. How do you realize that "nothing is done" ? Can
you manually start the script on one of the nodes? Maybe you are missing
some dependencies on the nodes? But in that case your program/job should
complain and produce error messages.

> It looks like this type of problem appends when the machine on which
> the PBS script is executed is busy (due to other running PBS jobs for
> instance).
If you have a number of jobs running on a machine and there is still
room (i.e. free processors) for new jobs then those will get scheduled
and start to run. If there is no room for new jobs (aka "busy") then
nothing will be started.

> - Is this problem known?
> - How to avoid this type of problem?
> Is it possible to request an additional 'delay' when a PBS job is executed?
Well you can change your jobs in a way that they are waiting by
themselves. (Put a sleep/wait/pause whatever at the beginning of you job)
But for what purpose?

Please state your problem more precisely, at least I can't even guess
the nature of your issue.

--
Michael - MPIB Berlin