[torqueusers] time to write .o and .e files

Axel Kohlmeyer akohlmey at cmm.chem.upenn.edu
Sat Mar 19 13:49:09 MDT 2011

On Sat, Mar 19, 2011 at 2:34 PM, Mahmood Naderan <nt_mahmood at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I have noticed that if I submit my job with "#PBS -l nodes=1", the output and
> error files (.o and .e files) are available only at the end of job (when the job
> finishes). However if I submit with "#PBS -l nodes=CNODE", where CNODE is the
> node name, the .o and oe files are available while the job is running and their
> content are updated periodically. The later is much preferable though.
>
> If you think it is a bug, please consider that or if you know the reason, please
> let me know.

torque has a compile option: --disable-spool that will turn off the spooling of
stdin/stdout of a job to a central spool directory and then copy them back
and instead write them to the user's home directory in the
corresponding machine.

i prefer this option because this will flood a user's home dir (and overflow his
quota and thus make him/her suffer) in case the job is creating unreasonable
amounts of output and not bring down the batch system and make all suffer.

cheers,
    axel.