[torqueusers] node's np still not right

skip at pobox.com skip at pobox.com
Thu Mar 10 08:33:41 MST 2011

You may recall that I had trouble with Torque (2.4.8) overriding the number
of processors I had explicitly set in qmgr.  One of my desktop machines has
four cores.  I'm happy to devote at most two of them to the cause, but the
auto_node_np default setting of True seemed to thwart my efforts at
controlling this value.  I set auto_node_np tp False a couple days ago, set
np = 2 and things seemed to work well at first.  Overnight, the
pbs_server-hosting machine was rebooted.  This morning I noticed, that even
though auto_node_np is still set to False:

    Qmgr: p s
    set server auto_node_np = False

The number of processors on my desktop machine was once again reported to be
four:

    Qmgr: print node udesktop264.wacker
    set node udesktop264.wacker np = 4

I set it back to 2, but think there is either some other setting I am
failing to take care of, or there is a bug in Torque which allows it to
continue to ignore my commands, at least across pbs_server restarts.

--
Skip Montanaro - skip at pobox.com - http://www.smontanaro.net/