[torqueusers] No Email notification

Stuart Barkley stuartb at 4gh.net
Mon Mar 7 11:15:42 MST 2011

On Thu, 3 Mar 2011 at 10:01 -0000, Jakob Blomqvist wrote:

> however email notification will not work.

This reminds me of the other situation that we have.  Our clusters
have no connectivity to the agency email system.  I would really like
to explicitly configure torque (and Moab) to never attempt to send
email.  Even better would be to warn users that email notifications
are not supported if they should set those options.

The --with-sendmail=none option in ./configure does not currently set
torque to not send email.  It just doesn't put a hard path on the
executable string.

./configure --sendmail=none could actually set a compile flag to
disable outgoing email support completely.

We set the default options is our example scripts to not send email
and we dump any email to a local email server where I clean it up
occasionally.  (Originally I was using this server as a place users
could find their email, but it isn't worth the user education effort
at this time.)

I've just found the undocumented qmgr command:

    set server mail_domain = never

which looks like it should completely disable sending emails.

This also appears to get rid of the log file spam messages of the form
"Not sending email: User does not want mail of this type."

Stuart Barkley
--
I've never been lost; I was once bewildered for three days, but never lost!
                                        --  Daniel Boone