[torqueusers] How to prevent run serial task via qsub

Coyle, James J [ITACD] jjc at iastate.edu
Tue Mar 1 07:54:57 MST 2011

Andrey,

1)  To minimize the effect of serial jobs,
I issue the following command on the cluster's
head node, which runs pbs_server:

qmgr -c 'set server node_pack = True'

This will tend to pack the serial jobs into as few a set of
nodes as possible.  This is sufficient for the C pbs_sched scheduler
shipped with Torque. If you run Maui or Moab there may be another
setting needed for those schedulers.

2)   I also determine which users are submitting many serial jos at the
same time, and show them how to use pbsdsh to launch many serial processes
in a single job.  This cuts down on the number of jobs submitted.

 - Jim

 James Coyle, PhD
 High Performance Computing Group
 Iowa State Univ.