[torqueusers] PAM best practices

Ti Leggett leggett at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Aug 18 09:03:26 MDT 2011

Here's relevant PAM configs from one of our computes. admin.pads is our cluster administrative management node (i.e., how we push out all new updates and config changes).

$ cat /etc/security/access.conf
+:root wheel:LOCAL
+:root wheel:admin.pads admin-172.pads
-:root wheel:ALL
+:@admins @pads-admins:@bastions @pads-login admin.pads
+:ALL:LOCAL
-:ALL:ALL

$ cat /etc/security/limits.conf
# /etc/security/limits.conf

# Increase the number of open files
*               -       nofile          65536

# Allow unlimited locked in memory
*               -       memlock         unlimited

# Allow unlimited stack size
*               -       stack           unlimited

$ cat /etc/pam.d/system-auth
#%PAM-1.0
# This file is auto-generated.
auth        required      pam_env.so
auth        required      pam_nologin.so
auth        sufficient    pam_unix.so likeauth nullok
auth        sufficient    pam_krb5.so use_first_pass
auth        required      pam_deny.so

account     sufficient    pam_pbssimpleauth.so
account     required      pam_access.so
account     required      pam_unix.so broken_shadow
account     sufficient    pam_succeed_if.so uid < 100 quiet
account     [default=bad success=ok user_unknown=ignore] pam_krb5.so
account     required      pam_permit.so

password    requisite     pam_cracklib.so retry=3
password    sufficient    pam_unix.so nullok use_authtok md5 shadow
password    sufficient    pam_krb5.so use_authtok
password    required      pam_deny.so

session     required      pam_limits.so
session     required      pam_unix.so
session     optional      pam_krb5.so