[torqueusers] set automatically a mem max ressources when the user submits a job with a nodes/cpu param

Troy Baer tbaer at utk.edu
Thu Sep 23 10:52:08 MDT 2010

On Thu, 2010-09-23 at 11:59 +0200, giggzounet wrote:
> I'm new on this list. We have a little cluster with Oscar/CentOS 5.5. I
> have installed Torque/Maui on it. It works like a charm. But I would
> like to set automatically the mem parameter when a user submits a job
> with just the nodes/cpus parameters. For example:
>
> A user submits:
>
> #!/bin/bash
> #PBS -N torque-test
> #PBS -j oe
> #PBS -l nodes=4:ppn=6
> #PBS -l walltime=2:00:00
>
> echo "pouet"
>
> I would like that the param mem egual to 4*6*2gb=48gb.
>
> How can I do that ?
>
> Does the prologue script that ? if yes, how does it works ?

The prologue is probably too late; the job's pretty much committed
itself to being run at that point, and memory requirements are
information that might be of use to your scheduler.  However, you can do
this in a submit filter [1] -- we do something similar on one of our
machines for situations where the user hasn't specified a memory limit.
Basically, your submit filter would need to read in the script, parse
the PBS headers, and then either prepend or insert a memory limit when
the script is written back out.

[1] http://www.clusterresources.com/torquedocs21/a.jqsubwrapper.shtml

	--Troy
--
Troy Baer, HPC System Administrator
National Institute for Computational Sciences, University of Tennessee