[torqueusers] how does (pv)mem limits work

Glen Beane glen.beane at gmail.com
Thu Sep 16 07:15:36 MDT 2010

On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 6:37 AM, Ramon Bastiaans
<ramon.bastiaans at sara.nl> wrote:
>  I wonder how pvmem is supposed to work, because when I'm testing it does
> not behave as I would expect it to.
>
>  * if I set resources_max.pvmem=8192m, the environment gets no ulimit. Ok
> fine, resources_default then;
>  * if I set resources_default.pvmem=8192m and submit -lnodes=1:ppn=1 the
> environment gets an ulimit (-v) of 8192 vmem (good)
>  * if I set resources_default.pvmem=8192m and submit -lnodes=1:ppn=2 the
> environment gets an ulimit (-v) of 8192 vmem (weird?)

I believe each process would have a ulimit of 8192, giving your job
16GB total.  If you want to submit a threaded job that uses all 16GB
within a single process then I think you would have to request 16GB,
but I think the scheduler might then look for a node with 2 * 16GB
(singe ppn=2, and it doesn't know you are going to be running a single
process with multiple threads).  Maybe someone with some more
experience using pvmem defaults can answer...