[torqueusers] how does (pv)mem limits work

Ramon Bastiaans ramon.bastiaans at sara.nl
Thu Sep 16 04:37:23 MDT 2010

  I wonder how pvmem is supposed to work, because when I'm testing it
does not behave as I would expect it to.

  * if I set resources_max.pvmem=8192m, the environment gets no ulimit.
Ok fine, resources_default then;
  * if I set resources_default.pvmem=8192m and submit -lnodes=1:ppn=1
the environment gets an ulimit (-v) of 8192 vmem (good)
  * if I set resources_default.pvmem=8192m and submit -lnodes=1:ppn=2
the environment gets an ulimit (-v) of 8192 vmem (weird?)

I would expect a qsub of ppn=2 to get a vmem ulimit of 16G in stead of
8G. If this is not the case, what does the P stand for in pvmem then?
How does it limit vmem per process, is this not based on ppn? Since
resources_max does not set ulimits, I would assume I have to use
resources_default for this.

The behavior of memory limits is not well documented (or I can't find
it) and I'm getting a bit confused now.

I want to limit memory allocation (vmem) per process  or ppn count by 8G
max and if possible with a maximum total usage of the nodes total
available memory (24G).

How could I achieve this? Or isn't this possible.

We are running Torque 2.4.10.

Please advise.

Kind regards,
- Ramon.

--
R. Bastiaans, B.ICT :: Systems Programmer, HPC&V

SARA - Computing&  Networking Services
Science Park 121     PO Box 94613
1098 XG Amsterdam NL 1090 GP Amsterdam NL
P.+31 (0)20 592 3000 F.+31 (0)20 668 3167