[torqueusers] oversubscribing

Will Nolan will at headlandstech.com
Tue Sep 14 08:36:19 MDT 2010

>> You can get TORQUE to oversubscribe by setting the the
>> number of processors for the node in the
>> $TORQUE_HOME/server_priv/nodes file using  the np=x option.
>> Set x to the number of nodes you want TORQUE and Maui
>> to think are available.
>
>Remember don't build Torque with cpuset support in that
>scenario as I believe it will assume that it can assign
>a physical core for each one that is allocated to a job.

So, I actually did try setting the np value to a higher number than the number of available cores per node a while ago, and still observed the behavior that the number of jobs running was still being constrained to the number of cores.

I don't 100% understand what you're saying but it _sounds_ like what you mean is that by default Torque only assigns jobs to physical cores?  That would certainly be an explanation for the behavior I observed.

However, checking the torque ./configure script I see an option "--enable-cpuset", and I know I did not set this when building...

Any thoughts?  Perhaps it's maui somehow?

Will