[torqueusers] oversubscribing

Will Nolan will at headlandstech.com
Mon Sep 13 10:21:33 MDT 2010

Apologies if this is actually addressed in the documentation somewhere and I missed it, but is there any setting in either Torque or Maui that lets you run more jobs on a node than the number of processors?

We have encountered a case where we add N jobs to Maui, where N > M (and M is the number of processors on a node), and only M jobs run at a time -- the others stay listed as idle until resources free up.  However, we know for our set of jobs that it is beneficial to oversubscribe due to the nature of the jobs.

Thanks for any advice people can give.

Regards,
Will