[torqueusers] How does qsub determine what interface the user is on when multihoned

Stuart Barkley stuartb at 4gh.net
Wed Sep 1 12:01:21 MDT 2010

Lorin Hochstein wrote:

> I 'd like to know how it is that torque decides what network
> interface a command was issued from (e.g., qsub, qmgr), when running
> on a multihoned system, and if there's any way to control this.

I think you may be needing to use QSUBHOST in torque.cfg on your
submission server.  I have this in my /var/spool/torque/torque.cfg:

    QSUBHOST betsy3-e1.fda.gov

I've also been getting quite wound up with problems between hostnames
and interface names on multihomed systems.  I'm also seeing issues
between short names and fully qualified names.  The documentation does
not seem very clear about this.

I would like to see some guidance/best practice on host/interface
naming for a basic cluster.  My clusters have the compute nodes single
homed on private networks with login/head nodes dual homed.

Stuart Barkley
--
I've never been lost; I was once bewildered for three days, but never lost!
                                        --  Daniel Boone