[torqueusers] procs with torque 2.5.XX and maui

Nicolas Niclausse Nicolas.Niclausse at inria.fr
Thu Oct 21 02:48:55 MDT 2010

Ken Nielson ecrivait le 20/10/2010 17:59:
> On 10/20/2010 06:38 AM, Nicolas Niclausse wrote:
>> Hello
>>
>> I'm currently testing the new 2.5.X release (2.5.3-snap.201010140929); i'm
>> interested in the new support for -l procs
>>
>> The release notes says:
>> With TORQUE 2.5.0 the 'procs' keyword is now interpreted to mean allocate a
>> designated number of processors on any combination of nodes.
>>

>> But when i'm trying this: "qsub -l procs=3 ..." on a 2 nodes cluster
>> (np=2)), it doesn't work  (i got only one procs and not 2+1); i'm using
>> maui 3.3 with JOBNODEMATCHPOLICY=EXACTNODE.
>>

>> Am i missing something ?

> Nicolas,
>
> I know this does not answer the question directly, but with Moab this works
> with JOBNODEMATCHPOLICY=EXACTNODE and without.
>
> Running TORQUE without a scheduler and starting jobs with qrun also works.
>
> This may be a Maui problem. Try running TORQUE without Maui and see if you
> can manually run jobs with qrun.

OK, i did some tests with maui and torque_scheduler.

my queue is configured with resources_default.nodes=1

This table shows the number of procs of the job, with both schedulers:

                       maui   torque_sched
-l procs=1               1        2 !!
-l procs=2               1        2
-l procs=3               1        3
-l procs=4               1        4
-l nodes=1 -l procs=2    1        3
-l nodes=1 -l procs=3    1        4
-l nodes=1 -l procs=4    1        4 !!
-l nodes=1 -l procs=5    rejected rejected
-l nodes=2 -l procs=3    2        4 !!
-l nodes=2 -l procs=4    2        4 !!

So it doesn't work at all with maui, and there are some inconsistencies
with the torque scheduler.

How can i make it work with maui ? do i need to patch maui ?

--
Nicolas NICLAUSSE                          Service DREAM
INRIA Sophia Antipolis                     http://www-sop.inria.fr/