[torqueusers] qsig -s leaves processes running?

Troy Baer tbaer at utk.edu
Wed Oct 20 11:28:24 MDT 2010

On Wed, 2010-10-20 at 09:27 -0700, Kenneth Yoshimoto wrote:
> Sure, I was trying out qsig -s <job id> on a test system
> last month with torque 2.5.2.  The job went into S state,
> but when I went out onto the compute nodes to check with
> top, the processes of the job were still running.

How were the processes spawned: directly by the job script, through some
TM-aware program (e.g. pbsdsh, OSC mpiexec, OpenMPI mpiexec), or using
an intermediary such as rsh or ssh?  If it's the latter, TORQUE's
pbs_mom has no knowledge of their existence and thus cannot deliver
signals to them.  OTOH, signal delivery to jobs and their associated
processes does work in my experience, so long as all the processes are
children of either the job script or pbs_mom.

	--Troy
--
Troy Baer, HPC System Administrator
National Institute for Computational Sciences, University of Tennessee