[torqueusers] Adding more system stats.

Roy Dragseth roy.dragseth at cc.uit.no
Wed Oct 20 04:14:26 MDT 2010

On Wednesday, October 20, 2010 11:07:18 Roy Dragseth wrote:
> I'm trying to create a simple (or as simple as possible) tool that add more
> system stats in the node report and is wondering what would be the best way
> to do this.
>
> 1. Add a new parameter in the mom config:
>     systat=/path/to/script.sh
>    and let pbsnodes report whatever output comes from script.sh as a string
>    something like
> systat=iboutkbs=XXX,ibinkbs=YYY,lustrereadkbs=ZZZ,lustrewritekbs=....
>
> or
>
> 2. Use the health_check script to report the status as a string, and just
>    parse that output.
>
> The latter option is by far the simplest to implement, but are there any
> pitfalls to this approach?  Any limitations to the length of the string?

After a bit of code spelunking I found that one needs to prefix the report
string with "EVENT:" or else the output of the script is ignored.

The message buffer seems to be limited to 1024 characters so as long as one
stays within that limit one should be ok.

r.

--

  The Computer Center, University of Tromsø, N-9037 TROMSØ Norway.
	      phone:+47 77 64 41 07, fax:+47 77 64 41 00
	 Direct call: +47 77 64 62 56. email: roy.dragseth at uit.no