[torqueusers] Memory resource limits and rlimits on Linux

David Chin chindw at wfu.edu
Fri Oct 15 07:26:25 MDT 2010

2010/10/14 "Mgr. Šimon Tóth" <SimonT at mail.muni.cz>:
>> a) I am looking at src/resmom/linux/mom_mach.c mom_over_limit().
>>    The function mom_over_limit() does not check for "mem".
>
> Yes the logic behind this is that mom_over_limit() only checks limits
> that cannot be enforced by the underlying system.

Ah, that makes sense.

>> b) In mom_set_limits(), various rlimits are set based on
>>    Torque resources:
>>
>>    line 1352 and onwards:
>>
>>    The mem and/or pmem resource causes the system limit RLIMIT_DATA
>>    to be set. Linux 2.6 IGNORES RLIMIT_DATA. Try it. I used the attached
>>    glom.c program, adding in appropriate setrlimit() calls. glom takes
>>    one integer argument, the amount of MiB to allocate.
>
> Oh, if this is true, then this is definitely something the we all need
> to look into.
>
> I will try to allocate some time and test it myself and then report back.
>
> Just to make sure, if mem/pmem/vmem/pvmem limits would be enforced
> correctly (maybe not using rlimit but cgroups, or something else), would
> that solve the issue for you?

Yes, that would. I appreciate your taking time to look at it.

Cheers,
--Dave Chin
David Chin, Ph.D.
chindw at wfu.edu                  High Performance Computing Systems Analyst
Office: 336-758-2964            Wake Forest University
Mobile: 336-608-0793            Winston-Salem, NC
Email-to-txt: 3366080793 at mms.att.net
Google Talk: chindw at wfu.edu
Web: http://www.wfu.edu/~chindw/
http://www.google.com/profiles/chindw.wfu