[torqueusers] Memory resource limits and rlimits on Linux

"Mgr. Šimon Tóth" SimonT at mail.muni.cz
Thu Oct 14 15:39:06 MDT 2010

> a) I am looking at src/resmom/linux/mom_mach.c mom_over_limit().
>    The function mom_over_limit() does not check for "mem".

Yes the logic behind this is that mom_over_limit() only checks limits
that cannot be enforced by the underlying system.

> b) In mom_set_limits(), various rlimits are set based on
>    Torque resources:
>
>    line 1352 and onwards:
>
>    The mem and/or pmem resource causes the system limit RLIMIT_DATA
>    to be set. Linux 2.6 IGNORES RLIMIT_DATA. Try it. I used the attached
>    glom.c program, adding in appropriate setrlimit() calls. glom takes
>    one integer argument, the amount of MiB to allocate.

Oh, if this is true, then this is definitely something the we all need
to look into.

I will try to allocate some time and test it myself and then report back.

Just to make sure, if mem/pmem/vmem/pvmem limits would be enforced
correctly (maybe not using rlimit but cgroups, or something else), would
that solve the issue for you?

--
Mgr. Šimon Tóth