[torqueusers] How to stop the submission for new jobs (for maintenance)

Crusan, Steve scrusan at UR.Rochester.edu
Fri Oct 1 08:09:21 MDT 2010

Yes, the reservation in Maui is the best way to go. By just shutting down the scheduler, no small/interactive/etc type jobs will start(as stated before), so it's kind of like you're extending your downtime if you just shut your scheduler down until the actual maintenance window.

Also, I don't think the OP is using the torque scheduler, so I don't see how stopping it would work. I think the qmgr -c 'set server scheduling = False' only matters if one is using the torque scheduler.

----------------------
Steve Crusan
System Administrator
Center for Research Computing

-----Original Message-----
From: torqueusers-bounces at supercluster.org on behalf of Lawrence Lowe
Sent: Fri 10/1/2010 8:47 AM
To: Torque Users Mailing List
Subject: Re: [torqueusers] How to stop the submission for new jobs (for maintenance)

Someone will probably correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the "set server
scheduling" just determines whether the pbs_server kicks the scheduler
immediately a job comes in. But the scheduler has its own polling cycle
and will pick up new jobs anyway.

So I guess it's "service maui stop", or put in a reservation. A
reservation is better because then short jobs will continue to get
scheduled provided their walltime indicates they will finish before the
maintenance period. Anyway, that's what we do!

Lawrence

Tel: 0121 414 4621    Fax: 0121 414 6709    Email: L.S.Lowe at bham.ac.uk