[torqueusers] Problem with ppn and routing

David Beer dbeer at adaptivecomputing.com
Tue Nov 30 09:44:08 MST 2010

----- Original Message -----
> -snip-
> > set queue fast resources_max.nodes = 2:ppn=2
> -snip-
> > set queue batch resources_max.nodes = 1:ppn=1
>
> My understanding is that torque can/will only do useful comparisons on
> numeric fields so the above settings are not meaningful. You might be
> OK with resources_max.nodect (though that might not be numeric either)
> but could only filter on the number of nodes not the number of
> processes requested (and you would need a default nodes=1 which I
> would prefer not to set so we can use procs as an option...). I don't
> think this solves your problem but might point you (or others) in the
> right direction.
>
> -- Gareth

At some point (I believe 2.5) we added the ability to use resources_max.nodes in queue limitations, but it only sorts based on the number of nodes, not ppn. We couldn't sort based on ppn because of the inherent ambiguities - which is larger, nodes=1:ppn=2 or nodes=2:ppn=1 - so we only sort based on the first number there. This means that a job requesting nodes=1:ppn=2 will be accepted by the batch queue.

Additionally, if you would like to have jobs that request nodes=2:ppn=2 and need more walltime than allowed by the fast queue, you will have to create a new queue or modify the limits for fast.

Cheers,

David Beer