[torqueusers] [torquedev] GPU Hardware

Fotis Georgatos fotis at cern.ch
Thu Nov 4 06:42:42 MDT 2010

Hi,

just fyi:
If someone is willing to provide the commands/APIs for reporting which user
is owner of which GPU (just as pbsnodes -a does for CPUs) I would be glad
to try to write the hooks for this one: (others have asked it already)
https://twiki.cscs.ch/twiki/bin/view/DECH/QTOP
I guess this is part of the same discussion as the GPU resources allocation.
(=whomever keeps the allocation state machine should report its status too)

I have heard lots of corridor discussions on the subject so far...
This thread looks like there's a need for a Special Interest Group/list etc.
If someone creates one such GPU-allocation SIG/list please count me in.
(but OTOH people may wish to keep it included here for now, anyhow).

Fotis

On 04/11/2010 12:39, "Mgr. Šimon Tóth" wrote:

>>> I guess the simplest way to do this would be for Torque
>>> to set all the GPU cards to root only access on startup
>>> (if no jobs are running) and then set file permissions
>>> appropriately per job.
>>>
>>> The main issue there will be if a user starts two jobs
>>> on the same box then there will be the possibility of
>>> clashes over which GPUs it can access.
>> -snip-
>>
>> We are using a group for access to the gpu devices (using pro/epilogue).
>> It's not great and we're looking forward to doing something better...
>>
>> (dual socket quad core, dual fermi-gpu nodes)
>
> I inquired about this on stackoverflow:
>
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4077790/limiting-access-to-resources-for-cuda-and-opencl

echo "sysadmin know better bash than english" | sed s/min/mins/ \