[torqueusers] Torque configuration questions for multi-core nodes

Gareth.Williams at csiro.au Gareth.Williams at csiro.au
Wed Mar 31 16:26:37 MDT 2010

> __________________________________

-snip-

Hi David,

There was a recent extended discussion on ncpus - the first posting from this month is here:
http://www.clusterresources.com/pipermail/torqueusers/2010-March/010090.html

In summary, ncpus and nodes/ppn are alternative ways of specifying how many cores you want.  This means that torque will not get a uniform view of jobs so your routing queue setup (looking at nodes and/or ncpus) would be hard to get right.

Stepping back for a moment, what are you actually trying to achieve? It's the scheduler that makes decisions about what jobs to start and where to start them.  Having separate queues is not necessary.  Maybe you can get where you want without worrying about queues.  Maybe you have a question for the maui list.

Cheers,

Gareth