[torqueusers] Fwd: ncpus anyone?

David Beer dbeer at adaptivecomputing.com
Mon Mar 15 09:12:04 MDT 2010

Thanks everyone for the input. Chris, we are looking into hwloc. There are some promising features there. It's most likely that at least the first version of this support will require a configuration file to tell TORQUE about the architecture. We'll see how we end up doing it, but for now that looks likely.

Garrick, I hadn't heard of irqbalance, thanks for the tip. I will make sure to look into that project and see how it goes. I'll keep everyone updated as we keep working on this feature.

David

----- "Garrick" <garrick at usc.edu> wrote:

> I recently learned that irqbalance is another program that learns core
>
> architecture. Maybe some code we can lift.
>
> HPCC/Linux Systems Admin
>
> On Mar 12, 2010, at 11:22 PM, Chris Samuel <chris at csamuel.org> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 3 Mar 2010 06:12:14 am David Beer wrote:
> >
> >> Another enhancement that we're considering is locking memory close
>
> >> to the
> >> CPUs (where relevant). I know that on some systems (NUMA, for
> >> example)
> >> this is necessary in order to run jobs efficiently.
> >
> > Very much agree - can I suggest that you look at the hwloc library
>
> > being
> > developed by the Open-MPI developers to provide a way of learning
> the
> > architecture of systems as part of this ?
> >
> > Also you may well want to look at supporting control groups
> > (cgroups) in
> > addition to cpusets as that provides some really handy extra
> > features like
> > being able to limit the memory usage of a cgroup, good resource
> usage
> > measurement, etc.
> >
> > cheers,
> > Chris
> > --
> > Chris Samuel  :  http://www.csamuel.org/  :  Melbourne, VIC
> >
> > This email may come with a PGP signature as a file. Do not panic.
> > For more info see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenPGP

David Beer | Senior Software Engineer
Adaptive Computing