[torqueusers] Preserve jobid count across Torque server re-install

Gianfranco Sciacca gs at hep.ucl.ac.uk
Wed Mar 3 11:22:09 MST 2010

I've just upgraded a machine running a Torque/Maui server
(torque-server-2.1.11-1cri.x86_64) from SLC4 to SLC5. The Torque version
itself hasn't changed after the upgrade, but the RPMs used are a new
SLC5 build, from the same source RPM. After the upgrade I have restored
/var/spool/pbs and /var/spool/maui, which I have done in the past across
upgrades to pick up stats from where I had left.

However, this time, pbs_server refuses to start:
[root at farmpp server_priv]# service pbs_server start
Starting TORQUE Server: PBS_Server: recov_attr, attr size too small
PBS_Server: Success (0) in svr_recov, error on recovering server attr
PBS_Server: pbsd_init, Unable to read server database
PBS_Server: PBS_Server, pbsd_init failed
                                                           [FAILED]

It doesn't like the database. I can only start the server by copying
back the new 'serverdb' file that was created after the new Torque RPM
install, but this resets the jobid count to 100 (I thought it would be
1). Is there a way to change that value to an arbitrary value so that I
can restore the jobid count to my wish? Alternatively, are there any
steps I can take to try and restore the server database as it was prior
to re-install. Maui has started fine and seems to have picked up all
stats from before the re-install.

Thanks,
Gianfranco

--
Dr. Gianfranco Sciacca			Tel: +44 (0)20 7679 3044
Dept of Physics and Astronomy		Internal: 33044