[torqueusers] Fwd: ncpus anyone?

Gareth.Williams at csiro.au Gareth.Williams at csiro.au
Tue Mar 2 19:32:22 MST 2010

Hi David,

I agree that ncpus=X should be completely synonymous with nodes=1:ppn=X - that would make it worth keeping ncpus.  This would be complementary to specifying procs (meaning a given core count on any available hosts), and provide a more intuitive way of describing SMP jobs. In principle you could change the names nodes-ppn/ncpus/procs but in practise that would be a major pain for everybody.

BTW. I realised far later than I'd like that specifying both ncpus and nodes conflicts but does not give an error.  We had set a queue default resource nodes=1 (we no longer do so) which confounded me understanding the issue.

I think it would be good if torque would give errors if you specify more than one of nodes, ncpus or procs, as the specifications clearly conflict.  Silently choosing one (nodes - yet keeping info on the others) is confusing.

Cheers,

Gareth