[torqueusers] Job can not be allocated correctly

Weiguang Chen chenweiguang82 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 2 02:25:56 MST 2010

Hi, all

In fact, I can not sure whether Torque or mpich cause this problem. I just
express my problem as follow a exapmle script:
#!/bin/bash
### Job name
#PBS -N name
#PBS -q batch
### number of numbers and process per node
#PBS -l nodes=2:ppn=4
### Job's error output
#PBS -e error
### Job's general output
#PBS -o stdout

cd $PBS_O_WORKDIR
echo "Job begin at "`date`
# program examples
mpiexec -n 8 $PBS_O_WORKDIR/cpi
echo "Job stop at "`date`

exit 0

cpi is a example progrm in mpich package. Our cluster profile is two
processors with every 4 cores, i.e. 8 cores per one node. But the message
from the above job is as follow when i submit this job:
Process 0 on node5
Process 1 on node5
Process 2 on node5
Process 3 on node5
Process 5 on node5
Process 6 on node5
Process 4 on node5
Process 7 on node5

All processes are ran on one node, but i allocated 2 nodes. I don't know
what cause it happen, and how to solve it.
Thanks

PS: Torque version:2.4.6, mpich:2-1.1.1p1, mpiexec:0.83
--
Best Wishes
ChenWeiguang

#               Chen, Weiguang
#
#    Postgraduate,  Ph. D
#  75 University Road, Physics Buliding  #  218
#  School of Physics & Engineering
#  Zhengzhou University
#  Zhengzhou, Henan 450052  CHINA
#