[torqueusers] ncpus anyone?

David Beer dbeer at adaptivecomputing.com
Mon Mar 1 14:18:36 MST 2010

Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone uses ncpus for TORQUE (in the 2.3 and beyond versions). From looking through the users list's old entries, it seems that a lot of people are confused about this attribute and sometimes just decide to avoid it. From my testing, which I admit isn't extensive, it seems that this attribute is almost completely meaningless. For example, if a job is submitted with -l ncpus=10, it still appears to only run in one place. I see this in pbsnodes -a:

jobs = 0/83.napali

despite the fact that:

    Resource_List.ncpus = 10

appears in qstat -f's output. I'm wondering if there's anyone out there successfully using this feature, because it looks to me that TORQUE doesn't do anything with ncpus in its current state.

Thanks for any light you can shed on this,

--
David Beer | Senior Software Engineer
Adaptive Computing