[torqueusers] Torque arrived in Debian Squeeze and Ubuntu Maverick

Garrick Staples garrick at usc.edu
Wed Jun 30 11:43:39 MDT 2010

On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 11:23:58AM -0600, Ken Nielson alleged:
> On 06/30/2010 09:19 AM, Garrick Staples wrote:
> > On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 12:25:51PM -0600, Ken Nielson alleged:
> >
> >> http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/pkg-escience/torque/trunk/debian/patches/c90string.patch
> >> The PBS_CONFIG_ARGS definition did not make sense. I guess "Please have a look at the build logs" is a little better.
> >>
> > Why doesn't it make sense? It's nice to be able to find exactly how the binaries were built.
> >

> I learn something new everyday. I did not pay attention to the fact that
> PBS_CONFIG_ARGS is in pbs_config.h. This gets created with the
> ./configure script. How did they get "Please have a look at the build logs"

The problem is that ISO C90 only specifies constant defines up to 509
characters. If you pass lots and lots options to configure, it's not hard to
pass that limit. And if you adding strict, pedantic build options to gcc, you
get an error.

I think a solution is to put PBS_CONFIG_ARGS into pbs-config. It's a shell
script so it can go up to 64k or something.

University of Southern California

Life is Good!