[torqueusers] Java bindings

Scott Wilson scott at epistemy.com
Wed Jun 30 08:33:32 MDT 2010

Hello all,
Does anyone know of an easy way to submit jobs to TORQUE from a Java program?

I'm attempting to write a Java application, that, among other things, manages the submission of jobs to TORQUE. I used to do this by manipulating qsub with Runtime.exec(...), but on moving to a new system this method has mysteriously and irreparably broken. Serve me right for using a dirty hack like this, and it was probably going to have to change anyway as we'll want to support other DRMs eventually.

I was delighted to find out about DRMAA - it looks like exactly what we need. Although there's no Java DRMAA bindings for TORQUE, it would seem that the Sun Grid Engine Java bindings are simply a wrapper round the C DRMAA bindings, and were designed in such a way that they could be wrapped round a different set of C DRMAA bindings ( http://blogs.sun.com/templedf/entry/porting_the_drmaa_java_language ). I was going to have a shot at doing this myself, but I couldn't get the FedStage C bindings for TORQUE ( http://sourceforge.net/projects/opendsp/ ) to install - the configure script complains that it can't find the Sun Grid Engine DRMAA. Does anyone know where to get manuals for it? I'm flying blind as they all seem to be on a no longer extant wiki.

Regards,
Scott

Scott Wilson
Developer
Epistemy
Energy Academy
Riccarton
EH14 4AS

tel: +44 131 564 0232
Scott.Wilson at epistemy.com
http://www.epistemy.com/
Epistemy Limited is a company registered in Scotland, number SC365481.
Registered office: Epistemy Limited c/o Technology and Research Services, Heriot-Watt University, Riccarton, Edinburgh, EH14 4AS