[torqueusers] How to rip out user validation?

"Mgr. Šimon Tóth" SimonT at mail.muni.cz
Thu Jun 24 04:31:04 MDT 2010

>> Over the past year I guesstimate that I have wasted over 90 hours
>> trying to get around this error:
>>
>> qsub: Bad UID for job execution MSG=ruserok failed validating
>> opsu/opsu from bw03.local:15001
>>    while executing
>>
>> Now, I can solve that problem yet again, with enough wrestling.
>> But, I can't think of even a hypothetical use case where someone might
>> have a shell on the cluster yet not be allowed to submit jobs.
>>
>> The ideal solution is a compile-time option: --disable-validation
>> after which anyone who can run qsub can run any jobs they like.
>
> great idea.  echo "rm -r /" | qsub -u root ...

Why would you allow submitting as another user anyway (unless you are
root, but then you don't need this anyway)?

Tearing out user validation is stupid, but I don't really see why you
would need this. Pretty much any grid should have consistent user ID
across the machines (unless you configure them manually), therefore the
need for /etc/hosts.equiv should be irrelevant.

If you are submitting into a grind from outside of the grid and there is
no way for ssh access, you are definitely going to use some sort of a
gateway, that will submit the job for you.

--
Mgr. Šimon Tóth