[torqueusers] How to rip out user validation?

matthew devney matthew at devney.net
Tue Jun 22 18:03:39 MDT 2010

Hi Guys,

Over the past year I guesstimate that I have wasted over 90 hours
trying to get around this error:

qsub: Bad UID for job execution MSG=ruserok failed validating
opsu/opsu from bw03.local:15001
    while executing

Now, I can solve that problem yet again, with enough wrestling.
But, I can't think of even a hypothetical use case where someone might
have a shell on the cluster yet not be allowed to submit jobs.

The ideal solution is a compile-time option: --disable-validation
after which anyone who can run qsub can run any jobs they like.

Is this possible?  Can it be a feature added to the next version?

Honestly, user authentication and validation is handled so many other
places in the system ... firewall, login process, filesystem
permissions, another pass through firewall as qsub connects to the mom
... This whole validation problem is way solved by the time we get
into torque code, and inside torque is (I believe) a fundamentally bad
place to put user validation logic ... I think torque would be a
better product by removing this entirely.  Can we at least turn it
off?

Matthew Devney
matthew at devney.net