[torqueusers] ulimit in prologue

George Wm Turner turnerg at indiana.edu
Sat Jun 19 10:31:36 MDT 2010

> > Another thing to look at maybe (apart from the pbs_mom startup
> script) is /etc/security/limits.conf
> > (and limits.d/*) if you have that on your system. Can't say I've
> tried it myself though.

The limits.conf doesn't work because that is usual applied by a pam
module durning login. Since  pbs_mom is usually started by a boot
script, the limits in limits.conf do not get applied.  The limits
pbs_mom does have is what it inherited from init.  It's not unusual
while debugging limit issues that when pbs_mom is started by hand
things just work; yet, the next reboot, the problems return.  Not that
when you start by hand, that pbs_mom inherits the limits of your
process and you've gone through login and limits.conf apply.

There are secondary issues which come into play with MPI programs; do
your secondary tasks go through login (ssh) or are they started by the
pbs_mom (e.g. Open MPI using TORQUE's TM mechanism)  In the end, you
can put the limit commands in the users .bashrc file and each process
started will inherit those limits.

george wm turner
high performance systems
812 855 5156