[torqueusers] torque does not kill jobs when wall_time or cpu_time reached

"Mgr. Šimon Tóth" SimonT at mail.muni.cz
Fri Jun 4 11:20:42 MDT 2010

>>> 1.-) correct a bug in  src/include/pbs_config.h.in
>>>  RESOURCEMAXDEFAULT insted of  RESOURCEMAXNOTDEFAULT
>>> 2.- ) enable --enable-maxdefault at configure time
>>>

>>> and doc should be updated.
>>
>> That wouldn't make much sense. Max is max for submit and that's the
>> way it should be. The problem is that server doesn't reject jobs with
>> infinite requirements when the max is set.
>
> I don't know if I've understood you, but I think we agree :-)
>
> If a max or default is set at queue level, all jobs from that queue
> should take those values by default. are you saying so?
>
> I'd like to hear some devel opinion on that, I'm sure there must be a
> good reason for changing previous (2.3) behaviour.

Well, not precisely.

If you don't request any limit, then the assumed semantics is that the
limit is infinite (for walltime, the job will never be killed for
running too long).

Maximum limits submits. It allows you to have a priority queue for short
jobs by setting short maxmimum walltime and high priority on the queue.
No job requesting longer walltime then the set maximum limit will be
permitted into this queue.

Default values are values set for jobs that don't have any limitation.
Very simply, if a job with no set limit comes, it assumes the default
value (from server, or from queue, depending on where it is set).

The problem described here appears when you only set a maximum value and
not a default value. Because you don't have a default value (on
server/queue), the job doesn't receive any additional limitation (this
is OK) and is also permitted to enter the server/queue (this is WRONG),
even though it actually requests infinite amount of the resource and
infinite > any max value set on server/queue.

--
Mgr. Šimon Tóth