[torqueusers] Limit number of users running jobs simultaneously?

Garrick Staples garrick at usc.edu
Thu Jun 3 15:30:30 MDT 2010

On Thu, Jun 03, 2010 at 11:53:04AM -0700, Brad Cavanagh alleged:
> On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 11:49 AM, Garrick Staples <garrick at usc.edu> wrote:
> > On Thu, Jun 03, 2010 at 11:45:18AM -0700, Brad Cavanagh alleged:
> >> Is there a way to limit the number of users running jobs for a given
> >> queue? One of our software packages has a license where only two users
> >
> > set queue <queuename> max_running = X
> >
> > You didn't even try :(
>
> That only limits the number of jobs that can be running at one time.
> It doesn't limit the number of users that can be running jobs at one
> time.

Heh, when I first read your email, the thought of limiting by unique username
was so odd that I assumed that your grasp on English was weak!

> Like I said, users can submit an unlimited number of jobs to the
> queue. However, only two users can have jobs running at one time. One
> user can have one job running and the other can have 351, but I can't
> have three users running jobs at one time, but a third user could have
> jobs waiting in the queue.

I'm not aware of a way to do this, but I bet the Moab people could impliment
this for you pretty easily.

It could imagine a queue limit in torque in the vein of max_user_queuable. You
would setup a routing queue feeding into an execution queue. The execution
queue would have, say, max_queuable_byuser=2. The first 2 users to get access
to the exec queue essentially get to own the queue. The 3rd user waits in the
routing queue. This would not be all that difficult change to
src/server/svr_jobfunc.c:svr_chkque().

But doing this in Moab would be better because some sort of fairshare policy
could be possible.

University of Southern California

Life is Good!