[torqueusers] Command to boot a compute-node in rescue mode in Rocks 5.3

Milind gadre at wisc.edu
Wed Jun 2 12:48:19 MDT 2010

Hello all,

I recently installed Rocks 5.3 for our cluster. I followed the documentation for boot action for compute nodes. The trouble is, I can not set a compute node into rescue mode by typing the following :

# rocks set host boot compute-0-0 action="rescue"
error - invalid action. action must be "os", "run" or "install"
{host}... [action=string]

although, I do get "rescue" listed as follows :

# rocks list bootaction
ACTION            KERNEL                RAMDISK               ARGS
install:          vmlinuz-5.3-x86_64    initrd.img-5.3-x86_64 ks ramdisk_size=150000 lang= devfs=nomount pxe kssendmac selinux=0 noipv6
install headless: vmlinuz-5.3-x86_64    initrd.img-5.3-x86_64 ks ramdisk_size=150000 lang= devfs=nomount pxe kssendmac selinux=0 noipv6 headless vnc
pxeflash:         kernel memdisk bigraw pxeflash.img          keeppxe
rescue:           vmlinuz-5.3-x86_64    initrd.img-5.3-x86_64 ks ramdisk_size=150000 lang= devfs=nomount pxe kssendmac selinux=0 noipv6 rescue

I am new to Rocks 5.3. Can anyone tell me how do I set a compute node to rescue option???

thank you in advance!
--Milind