[torqueusers] how -l procs works

Ken Nielson knielson at adaptivecomputing.com
Wed Jun 2 09:06:18 MDT 2010

Hi all,

On another thread with the subject "qsub on several nodes" it was
suggested the procs is a better solution to scattering jobs across all
available processors than nodes.  However, I find the procs resource
does not seem to behave the way  described in the thread.

For instance if I do the following:

qsub -l procs=5 <job.sh>

The qstat output shows the following resource list

  Resource_List.neednodes = 1
  Resource_List.nodect = 1
  Resource_List.nodes = 1
  Resource_List.procs = 5

If I do a qrun on this job it will be assigned a single node and one
processor.

The qstat -f after the job is started gives and exec_host of node/0.
TORQUE ignores the procs keyword and assigns the default of 1 node and
one processor to the job.

Moab interprets procs to mean number of processors requested on a single
node for the job. If I let Moab Schedule the job the exec_host from
qstat is node/0+node/1+node/2+node/3+node/4.

If I make the value of procs greater than the number of processors on
any node moab will not run the job.

Ken