[torqueusers] Max number of nodes

Ken Nielson knielson at adaptivecomputing.com
Tue Jun 1 10:27:20 MDT 2010

On 06/01/2010 10:19 AM, Basappa Kodada wrote:

> Hello sir
>
> Maximum how many computing nodes can connect to cluster head??
> --
> Basappa. Kodada
> NITK, Surathkal
> Mangalore

There is no hard limit as far as I know. TORQUE uses udp to communicate
between pbs_server and the MOMs so sockets do not become a limit. When
nodes are added the internal nodes structure expands to meet the number
of nodes requested. As far as the size of a job current TORQUE is
limited by the number of tcp sockets available. Each MOM in a job needs
two TCP connections for the pbs_demux process when a job runs. Because
IPv4 has a port value of type unsigned short the maximum sockets
available is 64K. Of course several of these are used by other processes
so the largest number of nodes in a single job is probably around 30
thousand or so.

Of course this is all theoretical. What can actually be supported would
have to be tried. We have systems running several thousand nodes.

Ken Nielson
Adaptive Computing